Moving & Storage Tips
Organizing Your Move
- Rent the smallest amount of space you need and utilize the overhead stacking height.
- Create an inventory list of your items and keep it in a safe place at home or in a safe deposit box away from the unit.
- Using a marker, list contents of boxes on all sides; number the boxes and seal with tape.
- Start by gathering as many boxes that you think you will need, tape, markers and packing material (i.e. foam shipping noodles, bubble wrap, packing paper or towels).
- If possible, try to use boxes of similar size so you can stack safely.
- Be sure not to put too much in each box, this will prevent boxes from collapsing.
- Dishes and glasses should be wrapped in paper and packed in sturdy boxes. Most of our locations sell packing paper as well as glass pack and dish kits at competitive prices.
- Pictures and mirrors should be wrapped in cardboard and marked “FRAGILE”. Consider using a mirror-pak box for a custom fit and combine more than one to extend the length when needed.
Storage Unit Organization
- Furniture with drawers can be utilized as storage places for pictures, knick-knacks, china, silverware, small items, etc. Wrap them in tablecloths, towels, blankets or wrapping paper to prevent breakage.
- Remove table legs when possible to save space and store flat.
- Shovels, hoes, rakes and hoses can be stored together in empty trash cans. Stack extra cans inside each other.
- Place items that you may need to access often in the front of your unit for easy access.
- Create an aisle in the center of your unit so you can reach items in the back when needed.
- Stack heavier boxes on the bottom and lighter boxes toward the top.
- Sofas and love seats can be stored on their end to save floor space.
- Avoid placing sharp or heavy objects on top of upholstered furniture.
- Cover stuffed furniture with specialty covers or blankets to protect against damage during your move.
- If you stand mattresses on their side, prop them up so they stand straight. After extended periods of time they can become warped or lumpy.
- Do not store anything COMBUSTIBLE (i.e., Paint thinner, gasoline, solvents, paint, etc.)
Select Cities Near You
We're Here to Help
West Coast Self-Storage is a self-storage property management, acquisition, and development company headquartered in Everett, Washington. The company currently has 112 managed and owned locations with 68 stores in Washington, 20 stores in Oregon, 18 stores in California, 4 stores in Nevada and 3 stores in Idaho comprised of approximately 52,997 units and over 6.6 million square feet of rentable storage space. Our properties offer affordable storage solutions of the highest quality including personal and business storage, wine storage as well as RV storage and boat storage. Our mission is to exceed our customers’ expectations, anticipate their needs and ensure their satisfaction with the highest quality storage products and services.